FAQ
Q: Is that a digital camera? What kind of camera is it? What equipment is that? I have a camera like that, but it's not so big, what do you use?A: Yes.
Q: Are you a professional photographer?
A: No. I was a portrait photographer and a fashion photographer for various clothing lines, which stopped once I entered active duty. Also, as a general rule, I do not enter dance events under the context of a professional photographer.
Q: What do you do with the pictures you take?
A: They go on the Torn Red Carpet Gallery unless I lose them (happens on occasion because I am a very forgetful person).
Q: What is the Torn Red Carpet Gallery?
A: The Torn Red Carpet Gallery is a free gallery located at http://www.tornredcarpet.com/gallery/ primarily dedicated to the preservation of dance events I attended. It is free for all to view and download. It consists of mostly snapshots I have taken since January 9, 2006 (the day I came into active duty in the Navy). Occasionally old albums will be put up if I have never "developed" them before that time. I may eventually put up old albums depending on my kind friends at Glassfish.net (hint: donate money).
Q: Does the Torn Red Carpet Gallery take donations?
A: Yes, I should work on making a non-profit organization to give back more to people. The best donations are passes to dance events or lessons so that I may better understand the particular dances and likewise better photograph them. The gallery also costs money to run as well as the photography. Monetary donations are also well-appreciated and will go to those costs.
Q: What are the rules regarding use of your photos/what is your policy?
A: I allow everyone to use my pictures for their personal use without the need to request permission.
When used in a commercial context such as promotion or whatever, simply request the use of a photograph and I will give you a quality version of a photograph to better represent you (processing and editing are free). Turn around time may be 2 days to 2 weeks, depending on my free time. Kindly notify me just out of courtesy if you cannot wait that long or require a large number of pictures. I may work on them slowly and release new versions of pictures.
Try to give credit where possible. I always give credit for others' photography, even when I don't legally or ethically have to. Photo credit is to Jesse Niou or the Torn Red Carpet Gallery. Torn Red Carpet Photographic Services (aka Torn Red Carpet Photography) no longer exists.
Q: What does it mean when you release a version of a picture?
A: When a picture I use gains enough popularity and I feel that it does not adequately represent the subject(s) and myself, I will create and release a new version of that picture, voiding all previous versions unless otherwise noted. It will be some work on the part of everyone to replace all old versions, but it is to the great benefit of all parties involved.
Q: How do I get you to photograph my dance event?
A: Kindly invite me to come. If I won't go, send me a pass. If I still won't go, buy me a plane ticket (still cheaper than hiring a photographer in most cases). If you actually spend money on me, rules will be a little different and I will be more dedicated to photography than dancing.
Q: How do I look good for the camera?
A: A very good universal tip. Ignore the photographer and go about your business. It is in your natural interactions that a photographer pursuing a photojournalist style will find the greatest beauty and be able to tell the best story. In most cases, being noticeably aware of me will make me shy away from you. I will entertain guests occasionally or I will take pictures of interesting costumes/attire because for the most part- I am still just taking snapshots.
Q: Do you still do fashion photography?
A: No, but once I finish my service, I MAY go back to that. Less traveling though- really quite tiring and I never really get to go sightseeing. I'll just find some small clothing line and work with them and focus on my dancing.
Q: Could you photograph our wedding/other event/whatever?
A: At this time, I currently only take word-of-mouth referrals. If I do not know you, have someone that I do know approach me and tell me your story.
Notify me as soon as possible prior to your event. I need at least two months (8 weeks) advance notice for most events such as weddings.
Q: Why do you tend to chop off people's feet/tops of people's heads?
A: Rule of thirds, depending on where I'm focusing (head or feet). Alas, Cartier-Bresson's "decisive moment" much too often comes too rapidly to prepare for a perfect picture. However, I may also do this for other pictures as well due to spacing concerns.
Q: Can I ask you to dance while you're photographing?
A: Sure! In most cases, I am photographing when I am taking a break, but I will be sure to hold your spot and give you a rain check (and cash that later). Sometimes I will put down my camera and dance with you right then.
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home